Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Feature -- Heathered


Wallets. Wallets? Wallets! Happy Friday!

So, the weekend is hurriedly upon us, and it's getting close to holiday shopping season! What better way to kick it off than with our card carrying, cash toting friends?
Our featured crafter makes super-cute, super-green, and super-(dare i say it?!)-wallet friendly items to make your shopping that much more fun!

My favorite item is the adorably tongue-in-cheek reference to Suzie Homemaker!



Cool your jets, but get excited for this week's interview with Heathered!



1. What is your shop name and URL?
http://heathered.etsy.com
http://heatheredvintage.etsy.com

2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
SF Etsy


3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How
did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?



My first obsession was sea creatures but it has slowly progressed to include
my other passions- travel, history, and music so I make a few different
things now. I started with felt wallets- Narwhalets (wallets with narwhals
on them), guitar/bass amp, and tree stump wallets. I wanted to showcase the
beauty and uniqueness of a half of a whole unit- amps without guitars, tree
stumps without tops, and tusks without tails.Then I started making farmers
market tote bags out of canvas and my scrap felt pieces because San Francisc
o
banned plastic shopping bags. I taught myself how to embroider and
listed a few music related items in my shop- the John and Yoko inspired
"yes". And now I'm concentrating on the travel and historic side of my shop
by making slim wallets using vintage SF newspapers from the 30s-40s, vintage
sent postcards, vintage maps and airline cards.



I learned my various crafts, mostly, from my mom, grandma and aunt and by a
lot of trial and error.



My creative process usually comes from necessity, taking lots of notes,
loosing some of those notes, and then making a lot of prototypes based on
what I remember- it's laughable how many of my friends have the first wonkey
version of a new wallet.



4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.


I ride my Modern Vespa S daily and I've backpacked around 17 countries-
where some of my maps for my map wallets come from. I worked a lot of odd
jobs when I was traveling. The oddest of them being short order cook, docent
at a penguin sanctuary, and house/office painter (I have a degree in Music).



5. What is your favorite item in your shop? Why is it your favorite?

My Guitar/Bass Amp Wallets:http://www.etsy.com/listing/42509881/marshall-half-stack-guitar-amp-felt
I started making band combos: Beatles (Rickenbacker with Vox amp), Pixies
(Fender P-Bass with Ampeg amp), Nirvana (Fender Mustang with Mesa Boogie),
and a few from my band. Then I started to get custom order requests but my
lack of time last year helped me to decide that pretty much everyone that
plays guitar has owned or played though a Fender Twin or a Marshall Stack so
I'm making those exclusively now.


6. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what
would you buy? (Please provide a link.)


It's a toss up between 2 of my favorite things- chairs and travel. I want to
put this in my "reading room" (ie. the bookshelf in my studio apartment):
http://www.etsy.com/listing/41912099/margaret-thatcher-frateuil-gen-2. But I
also love Mid-Century Modern Design and wood and California so it seems like
I should really own this too:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/32918118/the-california-desk




7. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations? (blog,
website, flickr, facebook, twitter, etc.... please provide relevant links)

www.heathered.weebly.com
www.tragicallyseasick.blogspot.com

www.heatheredvintage.etsy.com



If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...