Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Feature -- Kendra Renee Jewelry Design

This week's featured Etsy artist at Mama's Magic Studio is Kendra Renee Jewelry Design. It's really hard for me to choose a favorite from her shop -- her designs are simply stunning! I love the elegant simplicity of her work. If I was still wearing earrings on a regular basis, I'd be very tempted by these Nirvana Earrings:


Enjoy the interview!

1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I am a jewelry designer and I work mostly in sterling silver. Each of the pieces in my shop is completely handmade. This means every shape and component is made by me, right down to the earring hooks! Needless to say, I put a lot of love into each design. I begin with flat sheets of silver and silver wire, and then form, forge, cut, solder and polish to create the finished work.

I began silversmithing about two years ago through an apprenticeship with a jewelry artist in Boston. I absolutely fell in love with the medium, and now I am fortunate enough to own my own jewelry design business and can do what I love every day.

2. How did you get involved with Etsy?

I started with Etsy once I had made a few things here and there. It took me a long time to develop my shop to where it is today, and I am finally taking advantage of the huge number of resources Etsy has to offer.



3. What inspires your creations?

I am always thinking about jewelry. My brain seems to subconsciously generate designs; sometimes I literally wake up in the middle of the night and jot down a quick sketch. I translate the things I see around me into jewelry, and I am inspired equally by natural phenomena and mechanical aesthetics.



4. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Right now, my biggest challenge is getting the word out. I have taken the plunge and decided to develop my business full time, thus I am trying to get as many people to see my work as possible.



5. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

These Pearl Droplets are definitely my favorite earrings.

I have a pair in my jewelry box and it's very hard not to wear them every day. Sometimes I think my other jewelry gets jealous.



6. What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?



Even after a year and a half as an Etsy seller, I still feel like a newbie. I am learning new things about Etsy every day. The best advice I have received is that you get out what you put in. I am trying to list new items, keep my shop fresh and have a presence in the community.



7. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.


I am a brand new resident of San Francisco and I love my new home!

I love 80's music --so cheesy but so good. I am always in the mood to dance!



8. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?


You can visit my website at http://www.kendrareneejewelry.com/

Follow me on twitter at www.Twitter.com/KendraReneeJD

Become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kendra-Renee-Jewelry-Design/89092182689?ref=ts



9. Is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your shop or your work?

I strive to make works of the highest quality that enhance the personality of the wearer. I am kind of a shy person, and so for me, wearing my own bold creations is the way I express my inner strength and creativity to the world. I hope that people can see and feel this in my designs.






By the way, fellow SFEtsy members, I've been enjoying cross-posting these features from my personal blog. I hope you've enjoyed reading them. I'm always looking for new folks to interview, so let me know if you are interested in being considered for a feature!

1 comment:

Angelina Fong Designs said...

Wow, Kendra's designs are absolutely stunning! You're right, it's hard to pick a favorite from her collection. Everything is so elegant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...