1. What is your shop name and URL?
My shop's name is juliabrucker The website is www.etsy.com/shop/juliabrucker.
2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
I belong to the SFEtsy Street Team.
3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?
I create abstract mixed media paintings and drawings influenced by scientific imagery, nature and color theory. I prefer to work in watermedia on paper with drawing materials integrated into the work. I learned how to paint beginning in high school, and kept going through college and grad school. I hold an BFA in Painting from the University of Denver, and an MFA in Painting from Pratt Institute. Interestingly, I started in watercolors in high school, moved on to oil in college, and taught myself how to use acrylics in grad school. Now I use watercolor, gouache and acrylic exclusively. To begin my paintings, I do a lot of research into the imagery I am interested in-- be it science, nature, or color experience-- and then make studies in my sketchbook to work out ideas. From there, I work on several pieces at once, going from one to the next as each is in the midst of drying or I am trying to figure out what to do next.
4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc…)
I am an art educator, and taught as a Visiting Professor of Foundation Art at the Metropolitan State College of Denver for 3 years, and at other colleges and educational centers for 7 years total. I love showing people that they can make art and be creative, especially when they say they can't! I also like to cook and garden. I am a total foodie.
5. What inspires your creations?
Science, nature and the life I live. Everything I make has some emotional resonance, but is rooted in something from nature or science.
6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)?
The painting "Harbinger." Why is it your favorite? (Please provide a link) It is so pretty! I love the layers of color and the intensity of the shapes. The white space is really nice too. http://www.etsy.com/listing/43411659/original-abstract-mixed-media-painting
7. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy?
I am obsessed with Jessica Torrant's work right now: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51431296/original-abstract-painting-on-10x13
8. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?
Getting on a blog and in a treasury in one day after months of plugging my work!
9. What does buying and selling local handmade mean to you, and how has it affected your life?
I think handmade items are so lovely and personal, and people feel comforted by them. It makes life feel lived, and not manufactured! As for me, I just need to use my hands, and if I did not make art, I would be making something.
10. Give us some insight on how you personally, or your shop, gives back to your community.
I give money and time (especially) to several organizations, but most importantly, I support the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. I help with planning and PR for AFSP's events in the fall and spring. They are an amazing organization: www.afsp.org. I also give food and money to local foodbanks whenever I can.
11. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?
If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!