This week's featured Etsy artist is SF Etsy member Dorothy of Dorothy Designs. As somebody who recently got bit by the fabric flower bug (thanks to a how-to in a summer issue of ReadyMade Magazine) I am in awe of her gorgeous creations.
I remember oohing and aahing over Dorothy's flowers when I first saw them in person at the SF Etsy Sampler team trunk show in May (this was before I'd tried my hand at making my own). Now, having tried it myself, I am even more impressed! Isn't this pansy simply stunning?
Enjoy the interview!
1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?
I make fabric flower accessories: pins, hair clips, shoe clips, etc.
I took a ribbon rose workshop at the Sewing Workshop from Candace Kling, and I just could not stop making them. I got books from the library and looked online for tutorials on how to make different kinds of fabric flowers.
Often I start with a color of ribbon or felt or silk that I like and just start cutting and sewing. I usually make a prototype to find out what are the challenges of a certain design. Sometimes there are particular types of flowers that I'd like to recreate in fabric. I like it when a client requests a custom flower. It's interesting to have a challenge.
2. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.
I trained as an illustrator and I have illustrated a number of books, including many cookbooks. I am wild about my new cat, Ace.
3. How did you get involved with Etsy?
Friends have been telling me to open an Etsy shop for years.
4. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?
Taking the photos. I sweat bullets over it.
5. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy?
What WOULDN'T I buy? There are so many great things on Etsy.
6. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?
I think the first time a stranger bought something was my biggest thrill so far. It was on my birthday too.
7. If money were no object for just one day, what would you do?
Go shopping in Paris.
8. Tell us about your first sale ever?
My dear friend Jean bought the first flower from my Etsy shop as soon as I opened it.
9. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?
If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!