Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Feature -- The Crocheting Machine

This week's featured Etsy artist is Jennie, a new SF Etsy team member and owner of The Crocheting Machine. As someone who has yet to figure out crochet, I'm fascinated to see all the neat things she's able to make! I especially like her "Infinity Cowl" scarves, like this gorgeous blue one -- love that yummy texture! It looks like it would be super cozy.
Enjoy the interview!

1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I specialize in crocheted full circle/cowl scarves. My mom taught me how to crochet the basic stitches over one summer in high school. I started picking up the hobby again in January 2010 since then I haven't been able to let go of my crochet hook. I gain my inspiration from my sisters. When I think about something I could use .. my mind starts translating them into stitches.

2. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

1. I have an interest in language. Cantonese was my first language, then English, Mandarin, and Vietnamese
2. I am completing my last semester in college for my BA in Child and Adolescent Development & a BS in Health Education/Public Health.

3. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Promoting myself. I get most of my sales off Etsy. It means that I get to keep more of my profit, but I also want to boost my Etsy ratings.

4. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?

I wish I could sew straight freehand and knit.

5. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?

I just sold my 50th scarf today. Unfortunately only two of my sales were on Etsy.

6. If money were no object for just one day, what would you do?

Order tickets for two for a cruise around the world. Before boarding I'd build and stock a walk-in yarn closet and go purse shopping.

7. Tell us about your first sale ever?

My sister wore my scarf to work and her co-worker fell in love with it and made an order instantly .. to this day ... she is my biggest client with over 7 scarves sold.

8. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

Website: www.thecrochetingmachine.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/iamthecrochetingmachine
Twitter: www.twitter.com/msjenphan
Tumblr: www.thecrochetingmachine.tumblr.com




If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

3 comments:

M.M.E. said...

I love her technique. Her color choice is great and her scarves look soft but not chunky.

bunnydee said...

These scarves have such a cozy feel and the colors are wonderful.

Tatiana said...

Your work is beautiful and your photos are great! Kudos!

Tatiana
http://babushkadesigns.etsy.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...