Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Feature -- Kaelen Rose Paper Works

This week's featured SF Etsy artist is Kaelen Rose Paper Works, where you'll find amazingly crafty and funny sewn cards. I heart the combination of sewing and paper! Add in a generous dose of whimsy and wit, and you get results like this Banana Phone card:


Enjoy the interview!

1. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
SF Etsy and Hella Crafty

2. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

My shop sells greeting cards that I make using fabric and paper and sewing the designs onto the front of each card. In the past, I was never been a big fan of greeting cards because most of the ones available in stores seemed so lame, so I started making them for my friends and family for birthdays and holidays. I always try to make cards that I wish existed. Everyone always loved the cards - many of the recipients told me that they had kept each card that they received from me - so I thought I'd try selling them and see how it went. To make a card, usually I have an idea for a card, like a theme (birthday cake, for example) or a phrase that I think is funny or would make a good card. Next, I make a prototype card to work out any problems and check the layout. Finally, I make a series of cards - anywhere from 5 to 15 at a time.

3. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

In addition to my greeting cards, I also sew clothing (I'm currently working on my wedding dress), and I paint colorful, abstract paintings.

4. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?

I would have to say that my biggest success has been my Zombie Appreciation Day card. I was really happy when I sold out of them and had to hustle to make more.

5. If you had to be an animal for one week, which animal would you choose to be? And what would you do?

I would be a regular house cat; all I'd do is lie in the sun and be lazy. I love that cats are so relaxed, they don't get bored or sad or stressed out. I'm generally a high-strung person, so the cat's life seems like it would be a fabulous break from my normal super tense ways.

6. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

My website links to my Etsy shop and also has a lot of information about my paintings.







If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...