Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Feature -- Boutique Vintage 72

This week's featured SF Etsy teammate is Boutique Vintage 72. I had such fun checking out her shop! It's full of fun whimsy, eco-friendly items, and pops of color. This Upcycled Cotton Necklace especially caught my eye -- I don't often wear these colors myself, but I've always liked the red and light blue combination. Reminds me of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz!


Enjoy the interview!

1. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

I am married to a film maker and am Mama to an almost 7 year old iCarly addict (we are seeking treatment ;) I worked as a Pastry Chef in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan and San Francisco, but my favorite gig was on a ranch in the middle of no where near Encampment, Wyoming. I now work in my daughter's school cafeteria and as an art teacher for 4-8 year olds and I have never been happier.

2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SF Etsy, CCCOE, Davis United, Etsy Success, Follow Me, Handmadeology

3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

My creative interests are constantly evolving and so are my shop items! I started making recycled paper bead jewelry about a year ago and that process really got me thinking about creating something beautiful from the bits and pieces usually left behind. My main focus is recycled or upcycled materials, vintage fabrics, and organic elements. My goal is to create a one-stop shopping experience with plenty of Eco friendly products that have a fun, funky, bohemian vibe. I currently offer jewelry, bookmarks, key fobs, cozies, organic soaps, crochet and knit items, decoupage clothespin magnets and my latest obsession....Tooth Fairy Pillows!

4. What inspires your creations?

My Mom used to wear these wild and funky patchwork skirts when I was a little girl (yup, it was the '70's) and I just thought they were the most beautiful thing. I think my love of colors and natural materials really is a leftover from my being raised in the time of the flower child. I also really like to laugh and have fun, so I think a little bit of playfulness often sneaks its way into my creations.

5. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Knowing how to get my product seen. I have just recently started trying to market my shop, but it is by far my least favorite thing to do. Like all of us, I'd so much rather be creating things! I am trying to embrace the fact that self-promotion is just a part of the business and even if it makes me uncomfortable, I still need to do it. I definitely want to find that balance between promotion and pest when it comes to social media.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

Honestly, each thing I make is my favorite until I make something else! Right now though, I am absolutely OBSESSED with my new "Petite Boutique Tooth Fairy Pillows". I am super attached to them, I have a whole basket of them and they just make me happy to look at them.



7. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?

I really want to learn glass blowing and become adept at ceramics.

8. If money were no object for just one day, what would you do?

I would lay in a hammock all day with a really great book.

9. What does buying and selling local handmade mean to you, and how has it affected your life?

Buying and selling handmade has really made me feel closer to my community. When I sell one of my items from my Etsy shop, I send it off with a few butterflies in my stomach and a sincere wish that it makes my customer happy. For me, it is a personal experience, I am not just sharing a product, I am sharing a little bit of me as well. I absolutely love buying from other Etsy sellers, knowing that I am supporting their dreams and their creativity is such a lovely added bonus to whatever my purchase may be. Etsy is the first place I check when I need to buy something.

10. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

Website
Facebook
You Tube









If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

2 comments:

Jen @ Boutique Vintage 72 said...

Thanks Jen and the Street Team!! An honor to be on the team and to be featured here today. I love my SF Etsy team!

Kim Franklin said...

I totally agree with you that handmade crafts have brought you closer to your community, I am on the same page in San Diego, I have meet such amazing local crafters! We are all out in the woodworks and teams like this or shows bring us all together :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...