Thursday, April 19, 2012

Savvy Entrepreneur: Using Twitter Lists

I was reading an article recently about filtering the input you get from others so as not to constantly compare yourself to them. A good article, but that’s actually another topic. I bring it up because the writer wished there was a way to filter Twitter like you can with Facebook lists.

Well, there is. It’s also called lists. I set up so many I actually found out Twitter has a limit. I reached it. Apparently it’s 20.

Why Would You Use Lists?

The writer had the right idea, you can filter your stream so as to get the information you really want. I have separate lists for folks who share a lot about social media, or publicity, or entrepreneurship, or handmade. I keep local artisans separate from those in other places. I keep my friends separate from those I only know from the internet.

Some days I check into multiple lists, other days I’m looking to see what the local crafty folk are talking about. I keep tabs on what my past and current clients are up to and I see what my competitors are talking about.

Using lists helps me log into Twitter and get the information I need in much less time. Some days I only spend 15 or 20 minutes on Twitter and I’m still able to connect with a few people, send out a few tweets, see what’s going on, and respond to a few interesting threads.

You can also follow other people’s lists so you don’t have to spend the time curating. Did you know @sfetsy has a list set up for all the team members on Twitter? Check it out.

How Do You Set Them Up?

Right next to the follow button in relation to anyone’s name is a button with a silhouette and a down arrow. Click on that and you’ll get the option to add or remove from lists in the drop down menu. From there you’ll be able to create a new list if you need to or add them one you’ve already set up. Simple.

Lists can be public or private. If your list is public other people can follow the list and users will be notified when they are added to the list. If the list is private, no one but you will know it exists, let alone who’s in it.

You can also add people to lists without actually following them. I do this sometimes if I’m not sure I really want to see their posts in my main stream.

Go forth, create lists, keep your Twitter stream manageable and get the information you want. 

You should also follow @lightboxsf on Twitter and check out our lists.


Genevieve not only writes The Savvy Entrepreneur she is the Co-Founder of Lightbox SF where she empowers creatives to take over the world. Check out the blog or how to work with her.

If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Katy or Steph about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...