Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday Feature -- Jewelry by Tabernash


Today's featured SF Etsy teammate is a relatively new member of the team: Sue, who runs Jewelry by Tabernash. As an earring junkie, I had such a great time looking around her shop! I especially liked these "Mermaid" earrings, which are made from ocean glass and bits of tile or pottery washed ashore on a beach in Greece. The mismatched pair is just lovely.

"Mermaid" Green and Blue Ocean Glass Earrings

Enjoy the interview!

1. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
SF Etsy The Wedding shop

2. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I make 99.9% earrings. My passion is vintage and recycled works of art. I love to go to the flea markets of the world (Paris, NYC, Athens, San Francisco) and put old beads with old beads! My mother was in the jewelry business in Manhattan in the 80’s and my older sister has written two books on glass bead making
I have jewelry making in my blood.

Lately, I have been taking glass/pottery tumbled by the seas and creating new jewelry. It’s the ultimate in recycling, and rejuvenating garbage into art! My creative process is continuous. I’m a master at multi tasking. Mother, wife, therapist, author I can’t stop creating. Who has time for a “process”? I’m always creating…especially in the shower!

3. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

1. I love to row on the San Francisco Bay.
2. I have co-written a chick lit book that will make you blush.

4. What inspires your creations?

I believe that women need affordable, unique jewelry. It’s exciting to pair vintage beads from one part of the world with another. I like to think of myself as the United Nations of vintage beads. Each one of my creations are “one of a kind” designs. Why would you want to wear a mass produced earring?

5. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

My biggest challenge is getting exposure. I’m a little shy when in comes to self promotion. Any help I can get is graciously appreciated. I know I have a beautiful product for a fair price. I’m not great at asking others to promote me through different avenues such as twitter, FB “likes”, guest blogging, pinterest or treasuries to name a few. But I love it when people help.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?
Recycled Green Sea Glass Earrings

How cool is it to think that this glass that I picked up on the SF Bay could have traveled from some remote place? From garbage to art! We all need to try and make a “recycled” piece for our shops!

7. What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy? Do it because you love creating. The money and sales will follow.

8. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?

Biggest Success: The day a stranger bought a pair of my earrings from my shop!
Proudest moment: Repeat customer.

9. If you had to live out the rest of your life as a famous fictional character, who would you be and why? Debbie, from the book I wrote last year called Meant To Be. She is great business woman who loves life and is always creating new merchandise. She owns the world’s most successful vibrator company! (hello…is anyone paying attention here?!)

10. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

Blog
Book
Facebook
 


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Katy or Steph about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...