Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Feature - Lulu Deux Millinery


Happy Friday, Folks!

        Okay, everyone! Only about 12 days left until the big day! Halloween will be here before you can say, "Tim Burton's Pumpkin King!"
Speaking of the director of all things creepy, how many of you are thinking of masquerading as the Corpse Bride, the Mad Hatter, or maybe just a Fancy Lady Who Lunches? Luckily, this week's interview is with shop LuluDeuxMillinery, and she's got the high quality headpiece you need to finalize the look. These accessories breathe a life of their own; especially my favorite, the Live Bold Pillbox Fascinator, which would look perfect on any little Pin-Up Girl jaunting about on All Hallow's Eve.


And hey!, if you're feeling crafty, and have the time - this gal also sells millinery supplies! Enjoy the interview then head over to her shop. Don't worry, these creations aren't only appropriate for this holiday!


1. What is your shop name and URL?

Lulu Deux Millinery


2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SF Etsy, Milliners of Etsy, Craft Fairs…it’s a living!, and a few business-related teams.


3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I create hats and fascinators using traditional millinery techniques. I also make hair accessories and sell millinery/costuming supplies.
Right out of high school I studied Apparel Design and was heavily influenced by historical costumes & millinery. 20-something years later, I still find a lot of inspiration in old-world techniques but I also rely heavily on modern technology. It’s a happy mix of the two. And I never stop learning! A few years ago I had the great pleasure of taking a course with Rose Cory in London, she was the official milliner for the Queen Mum!  It was wonderful, I would love to go back. 



4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. 

I’m also an historic costumer, it’s my hobby. I also write sewing-related content for magazines and am a freelance educator for Janome America and Elna, Inc. I also teach sewing classes. 


5. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Getting everything photographed! I also do shows so about 90% of my work isn’t online.  It’s something I’m really working on though. Now that I have new photo-editing software I’ve been going pretty nuts playing with photographs. Now I have a new hobby. :)



6. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?
I’m still trying to learn how to knit and crochet. A lot of it just baffles me, and for some reason I don’t have the patience for it. I’ve been playing with knitting on road trips though. My hands MUST stay busy or I get fidgety.


7. What is the craziest gift you have ever received?

When my husband and I were first dating, he bought me a needle board (a tool used for pressing velvet) for my birthday. He searched all over the internet for it, all because I had mentioned in passing how much I wanted one. I knew then that he was a keeper!



8. What does buying and selling local handmade mean to you, and how has it affected your life?

I very much believe in being a conscious consumer and I try to shop locally for everything I can. I’ve never been much of a recreational shopper so to me, buying something that has been created by another artisan is a real treat.


9. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?



If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Katy or Steph about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...