Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday Feature - Pearl Reef Designs


Psst...It's Friday!

Come Halloween, some of us like to go all out. Then again, some like a more subtle approach. You know what will compliment your black scarf and orange socks? The cute little creatures being created over at pearlreef. Not only is this gal conjuring up some delightfully spooky accessories, they're earth friendly as well! These little trinkets are intricately carved from recycled bike inner tubes and brought to life with pearls and paint.
....And for the folks that go all out on Halloween, these accessories are perfect for your Halloween warm-up preparation...!

Enjoy today's interview with this keen green recycling queen, then head over to her shop for more tricks and treats!



1. What is your shop name and URL? 

Pearl Reef Designs pearlreef.etsy.com


2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SF Etsy, Upcyclers, The Era of recycling, Etsy Success, Etsy Trade-a-holics

3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I sell jewelries and other fun items made from recycled bike inner tubes that I collected from the local bike shops. I also have jewelries made from semi-precious materials. I've been making jewelries for 8 years, initially I mainly consign semi-precious jewelry in stores in Colorado. After moving to California in 2010, I switched my focus to recycled material, and I try to make intricate pieces from the chunky recycled rubber.


4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. 

I love to travel. My husband and I quit our jobs in 2009 and made a 9 month trip around the world and visited more than 20 countries.
I am a keen recycler -- the shipping envelopes I use are reused/recycled unless the customer requests for a new envelope. I have a photo of the recycled envelopes I made in my listings

5. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Being found! I don't have a lot of traffic in my shop.


6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

It combined the black recycled rubber and delicate fine gold chains, which creates a dramatic contrast, and it also transforms the bike tube into something delicate.


7. What is the craziest gift you have ever received? 

Sadly, I've never received any crazy gifts. Maybe this year I will.


8. Tell us about your first sale ever?

8 years ago I made my first sale -- a pair of aquamarine earrings. It was before facebook time, so I had to call everyone and tell them about it!


9. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?



If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Katy or Steph about joining SFEtsy!

1 comment:

Michelle Luo said...

Thank you so much for featuring me! "keen green recycling queen", I LOVE this new title! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...