Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Feature - Little Gems

Happy Friday!

     Welcome to today's exciting Friday Feature with jewelry shop littlegems. This modern day Renaissance woman has more than one trick up her sleeve, and jewelry making is where she really shines! (Pun Intended! These precious stones don't lie...)
With the recent resurgence of The Roaring 20s Fashion, and the perfectly timed re-make of The Great Gatsby hitting theaters next month, not only are her pieces beautiful and well made, they're both timeless and on-trend essentials. After the interview, head over to her shop to see for yourself!


1. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SF Etsy, Direct Checkout, Handmade Jewelry


2. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I make delicate handmade jewelry using semi-precious stones and sterling silver/14kt goldfilled wire. Occasionally I incorporate other materials like vintage glass -- I once found some seed beads that were originally used for flapper dresses in Paris and couldn't pass them up.
I used them here, for example:


I taught myself how to make jewelry when I was fourteen years old. When strangers started buying earrings right out of my ears, I began selling my work in stores in my hometown of Los Angeles. I used to work at the most amazing bead store in Santa Monica which has since closed and taught other people how to wire-wrap jewelry. I got to sit in on other classes so I learned a number of other techniques that way.


3. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. 

I live in San Francisco with my husband (he and I were born a day apart at the same hospital in LA and met 20 years later!) and have a "real job" in tech marketing.  Making jewelry is my favorite hobby -- I also love to cook, eat, hike, spin, garden, craft, and travel. 


4. How did you get involved with Etsy? 

I joined Etsy in early 2008. Before that I had my own online shop, but it was a pain to maintain -- I had to edit HTML and Javascript every time I wanted to add a new item since it was built for me as a favor and wasn't templatized at all. Etsy is a great way to run a little side business since it's so easy to use.


5. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?
Love the colors and the contrast of the teeny tiny pearls with the larger coral branches. Coral is usually seen in its darker, more red form but it can be soft and pink too.


6. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy? 

There are so many things! Right now, probably this clam shell book: http://www.etsy.com/listing/106854245/offering-no-98-handstitched-clamshell


7. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?

I'd love to learn how to do wax casting and sew (on a machine). I'd also love to get back into ceramics (throwing on a wheel) which I haven't done in forever. 

8. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?

Making people's wedding jewelry! I had a custom order recently from a woman in Australia who ordered ruby cluster earrings for her bridesmaids. I love knowing that women around the world are wearing my creations.



If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Our Team Captain about joining SFEtsy!

1 comment:

Tickle And Smash said...

Amazing work.. Loved knowing more about you and your shop

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...