Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday Feature ~ Timberly Designs


Happy Friday Folks!!!

This week we are featuring Timberly Designs. Timber Johnson is a jewelry designer who mainly makes necklaces and earrings.


1. What is your shop name and URL? 
www.etsy.com/shop/timberlydesigns

2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
I joined SF Etsy, EtsyMoms, Moms of Etsy and New jewelry shops

3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?
Timberly Designs is a jewelry shop featuring earrings and necklaces that, for the majority, are beaded with silver wiring. I have always loved anything arts and crafts and have had a lot of hobbies, including acrylic painting, leather work, crochet, batik, needlepoint. Making jewelry is a new craft for me but I have always loved jewelry design. I used to try to make new pieces of jewelry from older jewelry but many would not last very long. I took a wire working class with a friend of mine several years ago and everything just fell into place. Since then I've been obsessed with jewelry. My creative process is very fluid. I usually start with the supplies, mostly beads. I gather whatever catches my eye, I'm drawn mostly to cool colors, silver and mixture of textures. Then I take my treasures home and see what happens! 


4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you
 Jewelry making is just part time for me. I have full time day job as a small animal veterinarian at Redwood Animal Hospital in Castro Valley, California. At home, I have a beautiful family, my husband and our crazy 3 year old son (and 2 silly cats!). 


5. What inspires your creations?
The most inspiring thing for me is to imagine someone wearing the jewelry I made. In everything I do and all the other art forms I've dabbled in, I have this need to make things that have purpose and can be touched, felt and used. I've always loved jewelry and enjoy the design aspect and the materials. The weight, texture and color of the beads and wire I use kicks off endless possibilities in head. My husband has a much more "zen" approach to art and feels that the act of making should be enough. I love the simple act of creating my pieces and would be happy to work on them all day long, but to have the end product end up with someone who will use it and find some small happiness through what I make is the real goal. 


6. How did you get involved with Etsy? 
I have been an Etsy shopper and buyer for several years. I discovered it through a friend. I loved Etsy as a way to find unique and handmade items that support a small business or hobby. I've purchased things for myself as well as many presents. Also love to window shop and favorite amazing things! I always daydreamed of opening my own store, but until I began making jewelry I didn't have something that I produced that I thought others would enjoy looking at and buying. I was so excited when I was finally able to make that happen! 


7. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?
Creating a handcrafted item and opening and maintaining an Etsy shop takes a lot of time! I love doing it, but being a full time working mother means that my time is at a premium. I would love to be able to spend more time each day on my jewelry and shop, but don't want to sacrifice quality time with my family. Luckily they are very supportive and my son loves to play with his toy beads right next to Mommy.


8. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?
This was one of the first necklaces I made for my Etsy shop. I used to hate turquoise jewelry until I got some of these turquoise magnesite beads. Once I had them in my hands, I fell in love with them and it inspired me to be adventurous and try new materials that I hadn't worked with before. 


9. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy? 
This was one of the first shops I favorited. I love all of the artwork on these plates and have been meaning to make a purchase whenever I have some extra fun money!

10. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations? 

If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit Our Team Page about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...