Saturday, October 3, 2015

Yarn Tagging with the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles


Last weekend was full of yarn tagging fun as the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles celebrated Museum Day Live! We started on Friday, sorting through all the donated materials to see what we could use. Many volunteers helped with this process!
Donated afghans and other yarn creations. So much handmade goodness! In the background, serious plans being made by Jerome of Gridjunky and yours truly, Jen of Mama's Magic Studio.
The vision was to "yarn bomb" the awnings outside the museum, as well as to yarn tag as much as possible on the street and in the green area across from the museum. It took a lot of planning, piecing, measuring, and stitching to get everything lined up. Then, once the awning tops were put together, they needed to be hung up. Jerome from Gridjunky  was the engineer planning it out, and then up on the ladder getting it done.

Jerome of Gridjunky pauses and waves for the paparazzi.
The result was amazing! Custom-designed yarn bomb toppers for each of the five awnings. It really needs to be seen in person to appreciate the effect.

Yarn bomb awning toppers at the museum, each custom designed and created to fit.
 All up and down the street, we got going with the yarn tags. From pom-poms to more elaborate installations, no surface was safe from the yarn taggers.

Tagging with yarn pom poms!
I helped out a little bit on Friday, and my daughter joined me on Saturday for more yarn tagging fun. Together we created this whimsical tag on top of a bike parking tube, using donated machine knitted materials, some granny squares, and a plush crocheted cactus.

Our favorite yarn tag!
 We also placed a bunch of pom poms and tagged a parking meter with a scarf, flowers, and a mushroom.
Mother-daughter team, tagging a parking meter.
The museum staff was a big part of the action, of course. Joan, the executive director, took her turn up on the ladder to tag a big palm tree out front of the museum, assisted by Elizabeth, the Manager of Museum Education.
Museum staff, Joan and Elizabeth, hard at work.
It was so neat to think of how many hours of work had gone into the handmade yarn creations that people had donated. All those stacks and stacks of afghans, scarves, blankets, and more! I personally was delighted to find a new home for an old handmade item -- some time back, I hand crocheted a cover for an inflatable yoga ball. The ball popped, and I'd hung on to the cover because I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. When I was there on Friday, I noticed the stone spheres in the garden across the street, and a lightbulb moment happened. Turn it into yarn art? That was a re-purposing I could absolutely agree to!


Handmade magic from Mama's Magic Studio becomes part of the yarn tagging fun! These used to be a cover for a yoga ball!
 By the time we were done, the entire green area had been bombed.
Yarn bombed garden by the museum.
 This project couldn't have happened without the creativity and help of another SF Etsy friend, Amy of Jumbo Jibbles! Her expertise and savvy ways with a strand of yarn were invaluable parts of this project.
Amy of Jumbo Jibbles working hard on a yarn tag in the garden by the museum.
Amy and I serve together on the museum's new Advisory Committee, a group helping the museum with some new ideas and approaches. Amy coined the hashtag #wtfiber for this and other textile goodness at the museum, and we even had little #wtfiber label to include with our yarn tagging. I had fun creating a little tag for a pipe outside the museum.

Ingredients for a yarn tag, including #wtfiber tag.

Finished tag. I call it "Pipe with Mushroom."
Yarn tagging will be happening at the museum as long as they have yarn materials to tag with, so if you'd like to join the fun, be sure to stop by soon! The San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles is a true gem of a museum in the SoFA district of San Jose. Be sure to check out the fantastic exhibits while you're there!

Many thanks to the folks at the museum for permission to share photos of this event.


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit Our Team Page about joining SFEtsy!

2 comments:

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody, My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

Unknown said...

VICTORIA FINANCIER HELP MY FAMILY WITH LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with victoriafinancier@outlook.com

VICTORIA FINANCIER COMPANY, offers all kind of loan, ranging from $5,000 USD to $100,000,000.00USD Max. if you need a loan amount quickly write to her Email now with ( victoriafinancier@outlook.com) .
She helped me when i was so much in need of money. I lost my job. i and my kids were almost evicted from our house. I seeks assistance from all the people that i know but i could not even get drugs for my child. I also develop brain tumor as a result of stress and excess thinking. In my messed life, i look online for assistance there i found Mrs Victoria Financier Loan Lending company. I read how she always help different people from different countries. I urgently contact her, explain my situations to her same day and then i ask for any assistance that can give because i don't want my kids trow out to street; She advised me to get a loan amount with long term of 10years. I follow her advice, insure my loan amount of $18,000.00USD that i borrowed. The funds was sent into my bank account 4 days of contacting her and she also send the transfer confirmation slip to me and my bank gave me the money in full when i went to withdraw. Victoria Financier service is so amazing. I recommend Victoria Financier Lending Company to you, contact her today and be patient with to assist you because lot's of person contact her daily for assistance. She will help you urgently. Her Email is: victoriafinancier@outlook.com

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Country:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin:_________

*Email :_________

Merry Christmas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...