Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Featured Shop - California Blue


This weeks featured shop California Blue sells beautiful earrings inspired by the colors of nature. Especially prevalent are the cool shades of blue throughout the collection. Shop from 3 different series: Water, Stone, & Spring. As a bonus, California Blue is offering FREE SHIPPING all during the month of May.

Here's my Q&A with owner Melissa:

1) Tell us about your product and where you get your inspiration.

- Honestly, my motivation in making my own earrings was selfishly driven. I wanted to make simple, yet elegant earrings that could be worn every day. My inspiration comes from the beads themselves, as well as the beautiful palette of colors we are exposed to living in the Bay Area, hence my shop name - "californiablue". As a transplant from the East Coast, I am constantly amazed at the plants, landscapes, geography in California.

2) How did you get involved with etsy?
- A friend of mine introduced me to Etsy, and I was immediately impressed by the variety of
beautiful handmade items for sale. When I was recently laid off from my corporate job (after 13 years), I felt it was time to explore my creative side, and after exploring Etsy, I decided to give it a try!
I had a blast working on my banner, and taking all of the pictures of my earrings. It really made me feel good to focus on a creative endeavor.

3) Do you sell your work in any bay area stores?
- No, unfortunately I don't at this time. I'm still trying to determine what local stores would be interested in selling local handmade crafts. It would be cool if we had a little directory of these shops for the team!
(*I made a post a while back with a list of stores who sell handmade items in CA click HERE to check it out)

4) When you're not creating what are you doing?
- Given that I was recently laid off from my job, I now have the time to "give back" to organizations I feel strongly about. I am currently volunteering for a local cat rescue group, the new Humane Society Silicon Valley, and Breast Connections, a non profit in Palo Alto that provides support to breast cancer patients. Other than volunteering, I am gardening, reading, taking pictures, trying new recipes and just enjoying day to day life with my husband and 2 sweet kitties. You can check out my blog at http://californiablue.tumblr.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...