Friday, November 26, 2010

SF Etsy Artist Snapshot: Kevin Clarke from Bug Under Glass

It takes a pretty rad person to be able to work towards preserving insects in a way like Kevin does. And he's a busy man, too! Our very own Kevin Clarke will be showing at a few shows in the next few weeks! Find out a little more about the man behind artful maps in shadowboxes and read on...

  • Who are you? And what drives to you create!?
My name is Kevin from BugUnderGlass and learning about all the fascinating stories, strategies and designs in the natural world really drives me to create.  I studied ants in Grad. School and I believe they are one of the most creative animals around – they are my inspiration. 
  • When & why did you start your Etsy shop?
I started my ETSY store in January 2009 and wanted an online outlet that had lots of eyes.  EBAY seemed too generic for me and not really for artists.
Awesome items in the "Flea Circus" can be found here.
A few of Kevin's Favourites: 
BOOKS
Travels with Charley – John Steinbeck
A Journey of the Ants – E.O. Wilson
Where Does the Money Go – Scott Bittle (everyone should read this – I love macro economics)
Guns, Germs Steel – Jarad Diamond
 MOVIES
Microcosmos
Shawshank Redemption
Murderball
Nature Documentaries
Baraka
Nowhere in Africa
  • How did you come up with your business name?
A fun acronym for B.U.G. – Bug Under Glass

  • What does a day in your life look like?
I wake up at 6 a.m mainly because my wife is a teacher and then start  answering emails.  Next, I start packing and sending orders until 9am and take a break by walking my dog.  Then it is bugs all day, usually until 8 or 9 o’clock.  I work way too much.
  • How do you promote your work? Do you have any best tips & tricks of the trade?
My work is very easy to promote because the insects pretty much sell themselves.  A products story is a biggest selling point and if you can tell that well you should do okay.
To find out more about Kevin & his wonderful wares, feel free to click on the links:

ETSY // WEBSITE // FB // TWITTER

Kevin will be showing his works from Bug Under Glass at Winter Wonderland Craft Bazaar on Saturday, December 4th from 1PM to 9 PM at Urban Bazaar in the Inner Sunset! Come check out more of his works on display and find out a little more about the process that goes into his work while shopping for a unique gift.


And since we can never get enough awesomeness, he'll also be at Bazaar Bizaare's Holiday Show at Fort Mason Center in the Marina on Saturday & Sunday, December 11th & 12th!

For more info on BazBiz, click here!


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...