Thursday, January 6, 2011

Get Support To Keep Your Resolutions

In this first week of the New Year we all have the best intentions. We vow to lose weight, take better care of ourselves, have more fulfilling lives, and work on our careers. I have talked often about setting goals; I think they are the key to moving forward and making progress. If you don’t know where you’re going how will you ever get there?

While the feeling of inspiration is still strong and you’re managing to stick to your resolutions I encourage you to also look for the support you’ll need to carry through to the end. This support may come in the form of a peer group where you get advice and understanding from others who are doing or have done something similar to you.

When Shelly and I finished the business plan for Lightbox SF we started a women’s business group. We have nine members and meet once a month on a Sunday for brunch. All of us own our own business, but are at various stages. Some are still perfecting logos and building websites, others have been in business for years. When we meet everyone gets a turn to share her successes and struggles from the past month. We ask each other for advice, feedback, or to just be a sounding board. We go to each other’s events, we spread the word about amazing accomplishments, and we’re all just there having similar struggles.

Another great way to get support is to have just one buddy, someone to tell your goals to that will hold you accountable and ask how things are going. I made the resolution this year to spend more time on my photography. The best way I could think to do this was to create a photoblog and make myself take a new picture each day. I told my fiancĂ© about the idea and we decided to do it together. Now if I think about not taking a picture for a day I feel as though I’m disappointing him. I also see his posts everyday and they motivate me to pick up my camera.

Of course I feel one of the best ways to get the support you need is to be a part of your larger community. That may be crafters, jewelry designers, knitters, etc. Etsy is of course a great way to make those connections and ask questions and as we’ve seen the SF Etsy Street Team grow by leaps and bounds this year, there is no end to the support you can get here. However I also encourage real life interactions. Going to community events and art openings, attending workshops, and just generally putting yourself out there will allow you to meet more people who can support you in reaching your goals.

So as you push forward on your New Year’s resolutions ask yourself what would make the road a little easier. Do you need to learn a new skill? Do you need advice from someone who’s done it before? Or do you just need someone to listen when the going gets tough?

Now for the shameless business plug, Lightbox SF is holding two workshops this month to help you reach your New Year’s goals. Social Media For Artists will be on Saturday, January 15th from 11am-2pm and Writing a Press Release That Calls Attention will be on Saturday, January 29th from 11am-2pm. You can sign up directly on our website. And if there’s anything else you need help with, contact us to set up a free consultation.

Share some of the goals you’ve set for the New Year and what steps you’re taking to make sure you reach them.



I encourage comments directly to this post, but also feel free to email me directly with questions, reactions, struggles, etc. genevieve@lightboxsf.com


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

1 comment:

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

such good advice -- and thanks for the heads up about the workshops! happy new years, everybody, and best of luck reaching those goals!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...