Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How To: Create Buzz with Snail Mail & Cross-Marketing



If you know a little bit about me beyond the walls of SFEtsy, you know that I'm a Graphic/Web Designer that creates e-marketing campaigns for a large retailer here in San Fran. From online promos, online newsletters, Facebook content, to tiny little Facebook promos... I help to create that promo that follows you around on the internet. And although I tooootally believe and love online marketing...there is something to be said about Snail Mail that...well...just pulls at the heart strings.
That tangible gift you lovingly sent via USPS...it will be kept, it won't go into the SPAM filter, and your customer will really smile when they receive it....maybe even hug it!

If we all know that a little extra somethin' somethin' in an Etsy purchasers package makes their review of your site that much sweeter... how else can we use snail mail to inspire our customers?

Here's a fun thing I did that might inspire you to send out samples or a fun giveaway.

A friend of mine had made some beautiful postcards...and knowing that they were Free...I snatched them up. There I was...with a stack of postcards and a bit of time on my hands. So I had an idea... what if...I sent out a Facebook Message to my friends/customers and said... "send me your address and I'll send you something personalized and fun!"...
the addresses came pouring in! Free Stuff?! Noooo...for me?! Really?! Oooooo Ahhhh...
Before I knew it I had 30 names and addresses! :)

I took the cards and made 2 minute illustrations on the back of them...addressed them and shipped them out! Soon, I had comments from my customers that they - "I love your work, can I get my drawing as a painting?" and ..."this postcard is great!" "who made that?!". And...there you go! Cross-marketing!
without even really trying...and only a few bucks... I created extra excitement around my work and also marketed a friend at the same time.

Here are some more of the silly illustrations I did:







I encourage all of us to work together and cross-market our work...creating buzz for not just ourselves but also our community of Etsy Members will strengthen the community and also get others excited about what you are doing with your own art.

What Cross-Marketing have you done...what ideas might you have that could work for other members?



If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea! I love how creative your idea was.

El at Tantalizing Stitches said...

this is a great idea. I am not an illustrator but I am sure i can come up with something to send out as well.

HappyMoonBelly said...

Love this !! ^_^

Unknown said...

katy,
it's a big world with a lot of people, the more we can all connect the smaller it becomes.

thanks for the great blog.

i love this and just did it today in fact, with a postcard of a friend's work! great minds...

rochelle
hautemelange
haute plate

Heather said...

Thanks for the great idea!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

love this so much! i've often thought it would be cool to cross promote with a fiber artist -- my knitting needles and knitting jewelry seems a perfect fit. just a matter of finding the right match!

creativebeadz said...

What a great idea--and so well executed!

Adriana (ClayCatShop) said...

Cute, fun & fresh! Love the idea, approach and cool draft design of the postcards! Way to go! :) I might make some in clay! ;)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! very creative and smart too! thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!


San Francisco Web Design

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...