Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuestorial - Lentil-Power Cookies



Image these little cookies with a cape...flying into the air screaming... LENTIL Poooower! Whether you eat one as an afternoon snack or even for breakfast...these cookies pack a powerful WHAM-BAM 1-2 PUNCH!
They have dried fruit in them...along with protein packed lentils, almonds and dark chocolate that will keep you going all day long.

Recipe and Ingredients:

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 sticks butter
3 cups oats
2 eggs
1 cup cane sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup cooked/cooled red lentils (if you chose to omit the lentils, flour is lowered to 1 1/2 cups)

(the following is optional and to your liking...just a mix of dried fruits, nuts and chocolate to add to your cookies)
handful of chopped mango
handful of chopped apricots
handful of sunflower seeds
handful of dried blueberries
handful of dried cranberries
handful of dried cherries
1/2 cup raw sliced almonds
2 T flax seeds


2 fancy bars of dark chocolate, or milk chocolate if desired...chopped into random sized chunks.

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees

Use a soup spoon to scoop the batter onto your cookie sheet.
Bake for approx. 20 minutes each batch in the middle of the oven.
the cookies should be golden brown on the edges.
Let them cool for a couple minutes on the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Because this recipe will make up to 4 dozen cookies...be sure to remember that not all of them have to be eaten all at once. I keep several of them in my freezer and put a couple each day in my lunch box for that extra little LENTIL-POWER when I need it at work.

I won't lie...they are kinda like little kitchen sink cookies that have a little bit of everything. I imagine...if you were a vegan...these would be just as delicious with egg substitute since they are NON-DAIRY!

Like all my recipes... there's no need to separate ingredients or to make anything another other than a total mess in your kitchen while using your hands and getting down and dirty when mixing these up.

Enjoy!
I have never EVER shared this recipe with anyone before...but, at least in my little SF community, these are the cookies that people ask for...and more than once...I've been asked for the recipe...soooo...here you go, SF Etsy... from my kitchen, to yours. Because, I think you're pretty special.


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I got to try one from Katy's batch today and all I can say is – AMAZING!!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

we think you're pretty danged special too! thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...