Thursday, July 14, 2011

It's Ok To Not Want To

Last week's post about giving yourself some time away from the chaos and putting things in perspective was inspired by my personal state of feeling overwhelmed by the list of things I want to have done and general lack of motivation to do them. A couple days in Tahoe with no computer and no phone weren't enough for the motivation to kick back in. In fact I came back with a mild tension headache that hasn't left me for 5 days now.

The oddest part about my current state is that I'm not lacking inspiration. We've got some amazing projects underway and I'm getting new ideas about them all the time. I've got two new clients I'm working with and I keep seeing the light bulbs go off when we meet. I even started listening the audio version of Made To Stick by Chip and Dan Heath and my own light bulbs are sparking up all over the place. The thing is my brain is in overdrive, but I just can't seem to act on any of the inspiration. I feel unfocused and totally lacking in energy.

I'm not writing this post because I suddenly found the cure the blasé feeling, I'm writing to remind you that we all feel it. It's part of the cycle of creativity and a part of being a creative business owner. However what I will tell you is the advice I would give any of my clients... It's ok, it will pass.

When you feel any of the feelings I mentioned above or others, no motivation, no inspiration, lack of focus, or even anxious overwhelm, listen to you body. Sit with the feeling and let your mind tell you what it needs. You may want to stare into space letting all the thoughts swirl around, you may want to be distracted by a movie or book to quiet your brain, you may simply want to take a nap or hang out with a friend. Be kind and let yourself. Fighting it doesn't get you anywhere but more frustrated with how things aren't as you'd like them.

So give in and go nap in the sun or watch a few hours of hoarders and most importantly don't feel guilty. Your mind and body will repay you by bouncing back with a renewed spark after it gets the chance to cycle through and recover.

What do you crave on those hardest of days to motivate?


I encourage comments directly to this post, but also feel free to email me directly with questions, reactions, struggles, etc. genevieve@lightboxsf.com


If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

2 comments:

Jen @ Boutique Vintage 72 said...

I can SO relate to this post today! I have been working around the clock trying to get ready for my first 2 shows and have officially hit a wall. I think I am going to take the day off and read a book :)

Thanks so much for sharing this!

DaughterEarth said...

putting on some fun music i can sing along to and dance around my house usually helps my mood when i am in those kind of funks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...