Friday, January 23, 2015

Friday Feature ~ World Photos by Paola




1. What is your shop name and URL? 
World Photos by Paola 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WorldPhotosByPaola


2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
123 Treasury Promotion Team
Do Another Thing Team
Love Team
Photographers of Easy
Homespunsociety
SF Etsy
Etsy Promotion and Advertising






3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?
I mostly sell photographs in my shop. In some cases, I sell pillow cases with my photography and photo calendars as well. 

I have been taking photos since I was a little kid. I've always loved it. When I started traveling, photography became a way to capture moments and experiences forever with my camera. It allowed me to immortalize what I found to be interesting and beautiful. Of course, living in SF, I mostly photograph California. We are lucky to live in such rich and diverse natural place! 

Over the years I've taught myself how to take better photographs by looking at other photographers' work and by researching how to create the images I have in mind. People tend to think of photography as just involving a camera, but there is a lot of creative process involved before and after taking the photograph.




4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.
I have a 10 month old at home. Becoming a mom has been such a wonderful experience and it has completely revolutionized my life!  My little one is such a joy!

I love being outdoors. Hiking, camping, going to the beach, you name it! Every morning, I strap my boy to the backpack carrier and we hike Mt. Davidson. He seems to love nature too!


5. What inspires your creations?
Everyday beauty. I mostly photograph what I see on a daily basis. I try to get out of the city as often as I can, or to travel as much as possible but, no matter where I go, it's usually the simple things that capture my attention and draw me to them.



6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite? 
Currently, my favorite item is a photograph I conceptualized in my mind and that I then had to actually create in multiple steps. I wanted to create something magical. I wanted hot air balloons flying over the Golden Gate Bridge (and other SF landmarks). The process involved in creating this image took months and a trip to Fresno!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/205105162/hot-air-balloons-over-golden-gate-bridge?ref=shop_home_active_2

7. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy? 
I've been thinking about closing up the space in our basement to create a small office/guest room (hoping our landlady will allow!). I really want to wall paper that room to make it cozy and inviting. I would definitely use wallpaper from Kate Zaremba Company. This is one design I really love from her shop:https://www.etsy.com/listing/194805033/removable-wallpaper-foxy-print-assorted?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=fox+wallpaper&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery



8. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?
I recently started sewing and I haven't been able to stop. I've been teaching myself some techniques and I really hope to get really good at it but. I would love to be able to design my own clothing! 

9. What does buying and selling local handmade mean to you, and how has it affected your life? 
It means supporting other artists like myself. Nowadays people tend to buy mass produce because it's cheaper and more available, but I think there is so much more value in handcrafted local goods. The story behind them, the creative process, the fact that you are supporting the creative lifestyle of a person. I would hate to see a world without artists and creative people, so I think it's up to us to make sure art thrives in our communities.

10. Tell us about your first sale ever?
My first sale was a photo of a couple of chickens hanging outside a very rustic door in Southern China. 

11. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?
Website: www.worldphotosbypaola.com
Blog: http://worldphotosbypaola.blogspot.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WorldPhotosByPaola





If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit Our Team Page about joining SFEtsy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...