Friday, March 19, 2010

Feature Friday - Royal Redneck


Anyone else's week go by so quickly?! I'm so happy it's Friday!
And, Friday means Feature Friday interview!

This week's interview is with Royal Redneck. The shop is packed with fun, whimsical, and eco-conscious goodies! From baby clothes to accessories to reusable shopping bags!

Being a glasses nerd (and a forgetful glasses nerd at that!), this adorable necklace really caught my eye! The "chain" is made of hand crocheted 100" mercerized cotton! And the heart charm doubles as a holder for your glasses! Librarians, get in line!



1. What is your shop name and URL?

www.royalredneck.etsy.com


2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SFEtsy

3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I actually started out making reusable shopping bags but than got sidetracked with baby clothes since everybody around me was having babies and I was in constant need for gifts but couldnt quite find what I was looking for. Now I try to use something recycled in all my creations. Everything I look at I try to figure out how to repurpose it without it being to obvious. That is my inspiration too. I see something and think: How can I improve this, make it green, reusable or at least last longer. Like clothnapkins, reusable shopping bags or crochet dishscrubbies.


4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc…)

Right now I am OBSESSED with knitting and I knit till my fingers hurt :-) I try to make room for sewing since I am a professional seamstress. All the while wishing I could have two sets of arms so my husband doesnt feel left behind.


5. What inspires your creations?

Trying to be green in my everyday life. I want to make things from recyled fabric, plastic, paper, cardboard, clothes.....whatever I can get my hands on instead of buying new. Or to make things that will last a long time so there is less need to replace them. Making reusable things so you dont need to buy new things or throw things away after using them once.



6. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Advertising. Trying to figure out how and where. What is the best way.


7. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite? (Please provide a link)

Actually right now I have two, it is really hard to choose, since everyhing is made with love. Anytime you make anything by hand it becomes special. So here they are:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30863299 this is a favorite because I had sooooo much fun making these with my mom on our small balcony with dye going everywhere. I was like a kid on xmas waiting to find out how the colors turned out.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39083863 And this one because it is so extremly useful. The length adjusts and there is no metal, which makes it great for sensitive skin. They make great gifts for all your friends that you dont know what to get.



8. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?

I am currently working on improving my crochet skills. I wish I had the patience for quilting. Honestly, Patience in general would be a nice skill to have :-)


9. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?

Being approched and invited to be part of a Holiday Boutique last xmas. Being invited instead of sending in applications felt really good.



Thanks so much for spending a piece of your day with us! And a big thank you to Royal Redneck to letting us take a peek into her world!


2 comments:

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Great interview! I love the eco-friendly vibe of her shop!

vanny said...

Thank you for this interview. I really appreciated the information. It is tough to start a craft business and get your name out there and so it was nice to read about how you felt when you were invited to be a part of the holiday boutique, instead of seeking it out! What a nice turning point for you.

thank you for sharing your journey so far

Vanessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...