Friday, December 17, 2010

Renegade Craft Fair Preview - Etta + Billie Snapshot & More!

There are many reasons why people love craft fairs, but one of my personal favorites is supporting local artists! And SF Etsy has plenty of local artists to get behind!

That's why I've decided to put together a few photos from this past summer to showcase a few of the local artists that will be featured at this holiday 2nd annual Renegade Craft Fair!


There will be a comprehensive SF Etsy Member list of the artists at the end of the post to help you make your lists and check 'em twice. Let's get to know one of our SF Etsy Members, Alana Rivera from Etta + Billie to give you a little taste of what the story is behind handmade.


I first met Alana at this summers Renegade Craft Fair after taking on a position at the SF Etsy Blog to be a Roving Reporter. I met SO many amazing artists there that it was hard to keep track of everyone - but I knew they were all awesome. Alana and I really connected over a love for great body care products and a passion for handmade. I loved her story so much that I thought I'd share a little more about Etta + Billie.

Citrus Poppy Seed Soap
Etta + Billie - $9 USD
Who are you? And what drives to you create!?
I'm a small town girl who loves San Francisco, laughing until I cry, making up words that I incorporate as my own private slang, baking, cooking, bargain hunting, reading, and window shopping on the internet. The things that drive me to create are my passion for food (seriously, I am obsessed and have been since I was 2) and pushing the limits for creating beautiful useful 100% natural products.


When & why did you start your Etsy shop?
I started my Etsy shop in February of 2009.  After making soap for almost four years I realized that I wanted to share my passion with others and grow my hobby into a real business.  I had been enamored with Etsy for a while and knew that it was a great platform for my products.  Plus getting my own website together seemed ridiculously daunting.


Geranium Patchouli Whipped Body Butter
Etta + Billie - $20 USD
Describe your creative process
A lot of my inspiration comes from food.  I peruse Tastespotting and Bon Apetit regularly.  I tend to get some of my best ideas when I am just about to fall asleep or while I am on the bus (random I know).  I always keep a notebook with me so I can jot my ideas down.  I will go through my lists and figure out what I think will actually work with my product lines.  For most of my soaps I sketch out the design on paper first and figure out what ingredients will give me the colors I need.  Sometimes I do test batches and sometimes I just go for it and make a whole batch.  I love the anticipation of cracking open one of my soap molds after 48 hours and cutting into my latest creation to see how it turned out, its always a surprise.


Find out more about Alana by checking out Etta + Billie online:





Handmade shopping at its finest - Renegade Craft Fair
Now here's a few of our local SF Etsy Etsy Members that will be selling at Renegade Craft Fair's Holiday Sale this Saturday and Sunday.

hopejohnson
Sora Designs
the heated + This Humble Abode


For more information about the free workshops, activities & hours for Renegade Craft Fair in San Francisco this weekend, click here!


Steph Cortés from nerd JERK is the Roving Reporter, one of the newest members of the SF Etsy Blog Team. She enjoys going out to new crafting events and supporting the handmade movement. Look forward to more reports on her artsy shenanigans in weeks to come.

If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Jen from Mama's Magic Studio about joining SFEtsy!

4 comments:

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

hurrah for local talent! hope Renegade is awesome for y'all!

Alana said...

Thanks for the fab interview Steph. I am excited to meet some fellow sfetsians this weekend!

nerd JERK said...

I'm excited to meet new SF Etsians as well, Alana. :) Good luck to all the awesome vendors and see you this weekend!

Andrea Fuentes said...

Excited to meet some awesome crafty people!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...