Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday Feature ~ Frances Marin

Our Friday Feature this week is artist Frances Marin. She paints custom portraits of people and pets, illustrates logos, paints and makes textiles.


1. What is your Shop Name and URL ?
My shops name is Frances Marin and the URL is www.francesmarin.etsy.com

 2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?
SF Etsy

 3. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?
I sell custom portraits, prints of my artwork and some original work on Etsy. I also get custom requests for special projects. 

I have been painting and drawing since I can remember and I went to school for my BFA. 

My creative process involves being in a good headspace and environment, first and foremost. I get into the flow of working and lose track of time. I experiment with every brush stroke, learning new things and revisiting technique from years of practice. These days, I like to work loosely and simplify. I often conduct a little research to look at patterns, colors, places, so I am always learning new things by making art. That is an important aspect to my process. 




 4. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.
I went on an art residency in Cadiz, Spain last November. It was an incredible experience, working in a studio on the top floor of a museum that overlooked the sea. The ideas and influence that has had on me has been immense on my recent work. Also, I dropped out of high school my freshman year and later on received my BFA in pictorial art and and an MLIS (library science). I guess I like to do things my own way. 


 7. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?
http://www.francesmarin.com/
https://instagram.com/francesmarin/

8. What has been your biggest success and/or proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?
When the editor of HGTV Magazine ordered from my shop, as well as when I received custom portrait orders from actors in Belgium and from a band I love. Also, when Etsy featured my portraits on their blog in 2012. That's how the portraits took off! Thank you, Etsy. 




9. If money were no object for just one day, what would you do?
I would sail a boat to a tropical island, swim for a little while in the crystal clear water. Jump out, eat some plantains, black beans and fresh fish. Then, lay in a hammock and sketch all day. Later on, have a bonfire with some good family and friends. 

10. Give us some insight on how you personally, or your shop, gives back to your community.
I love sharing my knowledge with others. Between my art and library science education, I have a variety of creative and research skills. I have developed a good knowledge of art business skills from a course I completed as well as the internet so I try to answer questions people have for me regarding creative business. If I hear of an opportunity that would be a good fit for an artist or maker I know, I will reach out and send it to them. Last summer, I was an instructor for the Etsy Craft Entrepreneurship Program and this has led to some potential future opportunities for teaching. I have taught art to children and adults, even in a juvenile hall for girls some years ago. That was one of my favorite experiences in giving back. 


11.What's next for you?
I will be creating an art installation for the SubZERO Festival in San Jose June 5th and 6th. I love this festival since it is in my city and shows off all the artistic talent we have to offer. The range of art and music is mind-blowing so don't miss it!




If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit Our Team Page about joining SFEtsy!

1 comment:

Nogom Almethaliah said...

النصيحة الثانية هي أنه عند القيام بمهة معينة، ابدأي دائماً من أعلى اليسار إلى أسفل اليمين. على سبيل المثال، عند تنظيف الغبار، قومي بتنظيفه من الرفوف العلوية في اليسار حتي الأرض في اليمين. بهذه الطريقة تضمنين عدم إنتقال الغبار من الأماكن العلوية إلى المناطق المنظفة في الأسفل.
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...